Monday, June 29, 2009

Hi Everyone, It has been a busy day. After a trip to the hospital this morning to try to get somethings straightened out with what one of my doctors wanted, I made another trip back this afternoon for my chemo education class. This is a one to one visit with a practical nurse trained in all the nasty side effects of the particular medicines you will be given. So, I will be given 5-fu for 4 days and mytomycin for the first day. The bad dude is the mytomycin. It is the one with most all of the side effects. I won't list them. You don't want to know. However, it is interesting that the side effects will peak 2 weeks after I finish the chemo treatment. So about the time I will start feeling better I will be ready for my next chemo treatment. Isn't that diabolical? I also saw what my port will look like and it is larger than what I had pictured in my mind. I'm not sure that is a good thing... Anyway, it has now been decided I will start treatment on the 8th of July because that is when my chemo doc will be back from vacation. So I will check in early on the 8th and will be in until Sunday because of having to have exactly so many hours of the chemo drip. Once I get the port in tomorrow, (need to be at the hospital at 6:30 am), I won't have anything else to do but wait. And that is beginning to be the hard part.
I am fortunate I have been making lists of things to do and some of my friends have started bringing books over for me to read. Another friend has offered videos. And the doctors office has encouraged I keep up with as much exercise as I can tolerate. They are also big on power naps. So what are power naps? When I nap I go to sleep I don't plug in or power up or down I just crash. I do it quite well too.
Other than that, things have been pretty quiet. I'm hoping to get to play golf before I go in but I've been told my shoulder could be sore. So, it will be a wait and see game. I hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm happy the weather has finally cooled off to our normal temperatures. It makes it bearable outside. I guess I will catch you tomorrow. KTPC My love Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment