Friday, June 19, 2009

This is for all my friends and loved ones (most of you are both) who will have questions but won't know what to say or ask. I have already felt uneasiness from some of you who want to say or do something and don't know what. Thank you for all the love and care and concern you have already sent my way.

The intent of this is to keep you informed of how I am doing and to give you some insight into my mind and feelings during this time (whoa that might be dangerous for all of us!). Hopefully, it will also give you some insight into this particular type of cancer because as I am starting to understand it is not a common form of cancer.

So, let me start by giving you some history. I don't mean to gross anyone out. But my type of cancer can be considered gross as it is anus cancer. Not rectal cancer, or colon cancer but anus cancer.

I have had a history of hemorrhoids. When I started having a little spotting I was concerned but waited. When I had more blood than what I thought was safe, I went to the internist. The internist quickly sent me to a colonrectal surgeon who in turn quickly found an anal tumor. He then scheduled surgery.

For those of you who know me you know I am an avid golfer. With my biggest tournament of the year coming up and the surgeon already telling me if it was cancerous it would mean chemo and radiation both at the same time I opted for the latest date possible to schedule the surgery.
Surgery was done June 9. This is June 19. I am recooping well. On June 17 I received the news that the whole tumor could not be removed and it was cancerous. I would begin my session with more tests and oncologists and chemo and radiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment