Friday, August 14, 2009

Here's the truth and it's not pretty

First of all I want to tell you for my birthday yesterday Melvin got me 1 doz red roses. He felt so bad he couldn't take me to dinner or do anything for me other than be there for me. The roses are beautiful and I am thoroughly enjoying them even though I can't smell them (due to nausea).

So I thought it was time to give you all some insight into what I am going through. I know I have kind of doing that but this will give you a total picture.

Starting from the head down. I have small headaches about 50% of the time. I am having a huge amount of mucous drainage for which I am taking medicine. My sense of smell is extremely sensitive. Any little funky smell and I get very nauseated. My mouth feels like it has been burned and I have the nastiest taste in my mouth. Nothing will get rid of it. My teeth and gums hurt. I feel semi nauseated all the time. (I'm taking medicine for that also). I also alternate between chills and being hot. (But no temperature)
Below the belt. From the hair line in the private area I am bright red from burns. This continues to the back with the burns going about 1=2 inches beyond where my leg attaches to my body. So needless to say any underwear is a killer. I have burns extending out on the cheeks of the butt again about 2-3 inches. I get to put salve on all the burn areas 3 times a day. It helps for about 2 hours.
So everything above the belt is from the chemo. Everything below the belt is from radiation. I have been told the radiation effects will leave faster than the chemo effects even though the radiation will keep working for 1 month after I finish treatment. (Monday is my last day) Tomorrow I get disconnected from the chemo. With the side effects I am currently having I am hoping that my side effects aren't worse the second week like they were after the first chemo. I know it will probably take a week after I am disconnected to start feeling human again. But I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope all of you realize this was written for informational purposes. The next time you know someone going through chemo and or radiation you will realize that saying hope you have a great day isn't quite what you want to say. There really aren't any great days. There are bad days and days not so bad. Prayers are the best and letting the person know you are there for them. Which all of you have done for me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and love you for it.
Hopefully the rest of this blog will be about my recovery and way back to decent health. Hope you have a great weekend. KTPC Rose

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Sounds like you are really going through it. I keep you in my prayers and wish there was something I could do. I was happy to see that you are coming to the scramble. It will be good to see you there to have some fun and not just work. Take care and hope you have more not so bad days than bad days.

    xoxo
    Stephany

    ReplyDelete