Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 2 Countdown still continues

Help Me! Help Me! I am being held hostage on 7th floor of St. John's. Just kidding of course but without being able to go anyplace other than walk 2 short halls and 2 shorter halls I am starting to go stir crazy. I am thankful I can walk and feel like walking don't get me wrong but I'm used to being a lot more active than this, obviously.
Saw the doc this morning she said she expected me to hit the wall the weekend after I get out of the hospital. Poor Mel has already hit the wall. The numerous trips here and going out etc have taken their toll on him. He had a seizure last night. Well, we don't know if it was one or 2 sometimes he doubles up but he doesn't know it. I wasn't there to watch out for him, but our faithful pup Maggie stuck by his side like glue. She was watching him for me. If she could talk (she can tell me somethings) she would tell us how many he had last night. It had been a while since he had a seizure, actually a couple of days after I was told I had the tumor. His stress level shows outward.

So how many of you remember the movie the Exorcist? And remember the scene of the girls head spinning around? Well that is the best way to describe how I feel when I get the anti nausea medication. It doesn't make me nauseous though. I just have to close my eyes and rest my head and wait thru it. If I can nap through it even better.
I really am getting great care here. Everyone has been great. The biggest problem is I can't get any sleep. First of all since I have the saline drip I am constantly having to go to the bathroom. I counted 8 times last night. 4 times by 12:30. Then my iv beeper will go off at least twice in the middle of the night. Once will be to replace the saline and other time will be just to aggravate me. Last night it went off 3 times. This morning they decided to get blood at 4:30 am instead of 5:15 so a trio of nurses come in and flip the lights on. I just held out both my arms and said take your pick just try to keep the bruises symmetrical. I had a smile on my face. I then told them I probably wouldn't be quite this nice if I was back for the second round of chemo. They agreed. If you're wondering why they are not taking blood thru the port it slows down the chemo process because they have to disconnect and flush. It is also dangerous. They try not to fool with the chemo unless they absolutely have to. So while I get the chemo I get stuck in the arm. It is only once a day.
Yesterday I was accused of being an incognito nurse. After lowering my blood sugar yesterday and telling them I was going to (from 143 late morning to 92 early evening) and then lowering my blood pressure and telling them I could (bottom number was 104 lowered it to 80 ) in about an hour they figured I had some special knowledge. I don't. I just know my physical being. I have always been aware of my physical being.
I had a really pleasant surprise. All my doctors and Mel's doctors are in St. Johns system. A lot of them know what is going on. But last night his neurologist came by to visit. Now this is a guy that loves to kid. So I was ready for him. First thing he asked was what are you doing here? I said gee doc you went to med school did you read the sign when you got off the elevator that said CANCER FLOOR? He laughed and he said ok you got me tell me about it. So I did with my warped sense of humor involved. He would just look at me and shake his head. I ended my story with I'm positive, I'm strong and most important I have God on my side. Right now I only see one set of footprints. (Some of you will catch the meaning of that). He grinned again and shook my hand. When he was walking out I yelled after him I don't want to see a bill from this visit. He came back in with a big grin again and said I can't bill for a placebo. It was really neat.
I have been placing physical goals on myself. This is what keeps me motivated. Like the goal I would play golf by 2 weeks after my surgery (which I did). This goal is even more industrious. I have 2 big tournaments at the end of Sept. I want to be able to play in at least one of them. They are both 2 day tournaments which is large expectation to play 2 days in a row. And it will only be about 5 weeks after my last treatment. But that is my goal. Now notice I say play I don't expect to play well. The big thing is to start and finish the tournament. If that works out or even looks like it is going to work out I'm going to get Mel and I reservations to go down to Hot Springs in Oct.
I have droned on long enough. A shout to all my gals at Millwood and to all the folks at Fand C. Love you all KTPC

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there. We are all thinking of you and praying for you. You have touched many lives and have more friends than you will ever know.
    Debbie Gintz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose!
    My Dad gave me the news about you and sent me the link to your blog. I can tell after reading the posts that you have strong will and a great sense of humor... you're a natural at blogging! I'll be coming back to read, laugh and check up on you often. I just want you to know that we will keep you in our prayers through this fight. However, if your blog posts are a reflection of your will to overcome this, then I feel confident that you will! Stay strong and stay positive! Also, say "Hey!" to Scott for me too... we probably wouldn't even recognize each other now. (HA!)

    Marc Fayard
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    (5 min. from the World Golf Village ...and we have plenty of room!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Chas and Joyce....Sounds like you're really hanging in there STRONG. We are thinking and praying for you. Wish there was more we could do, but it does sound as if they are taking excellent care of you in the hospital. Let us know if there is anything you would like for us to do for you or Melvin. Love, Joyce

    ReplyDelete