Friday, July 17, 2009

My prayers for you

My what a beautiful day. I sat out late this afternoon on the back patio enjoying the fresh air as my nose is now getting very sensitive to odors. I am hoping the weather stays cool for a while so I can do that more often. FYI Mel is now screening my calls (actually I'm not talking to anyone) because it hurts so much to talk. So if you're one of those please don't take it personal. I pray none of my friends, family or worst enemies have to ever go through this. I am through the first week of radiation. My side effects (which are now too long to list) are all from the chemo. The radiation hasn't started its thing yet.
My biggest challenge is to eat (who'd of thought?) and to get enough fluid. The fluid is coming most in the form of ice chips but I'm going through a lot of them. I was already threatened by both docs that if I dehydrate (which is very easy) I will be back in the hospital. I don't have much energy but with the little intake I have it's not surprising.
The irony of it all. Sheka, the chewer dog, was bought a rope with a tire on the end of it to chew on. She loves ropes but wouldn't touch the tire. However, she decided to chew up a wheel on our Big Green Egg. I told Melvin we had a brake system on it now.
I have been watching a lot of the British Open. It has been nice because I can doze a little while watching. How about that Tom Watson? He's an inspiration to me. I figure if he can keep up with the youngsters at age 59 and having hip replacement I should be able to get myself back into shape and play as well as I have in the past. It won't be this fall but maybe for next spring. I hope you all have a great weekend. My love

2 comments:

  1. Rose,
    Sorry to hear you are not in Kansas anymore. But if Dorothy is who you mainly identify with you will brave through this. That isn't to say that the Scarecrow will not appear from time to time, that is to be expected.

    I have been told by many that Sonic's slushy drinks - particularly lime are great for hydration and anti-nausea. When you are ready for someone to just sit with you while Melvin gets a break, let me know and I'll bring one along.
    Thinking of you.
    Cindy H.
    P.S. Lynn sends his best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for me, Rose. Whenever you feel like a bit of company, please let me know. I would be so happy to bring along whatever sounds good to you. So sorry about all of the side effects happening right now. Thinking of you daily. Love you.
    Cheryl M.

    ReplyDelete