Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tough couple of days

Sorry to leave everyone hanging for a couple of days. Sunday was just a rest catch up day. My mouth started getting some worse so I tried not to do much thinking that would help. (That was stupid)
Monday was described by Melvin as the morning from hell. We started at radiation at 6:50 am the machine was down so we waited until about 8 until the doc could see me. My mouth tongue and throat by this time were bleeding sores. She does pain and control for lower part of the body so she set me up to go see the other oncologist. I also had to have a blood lab. By the time all of that got over with and I got back to the radiation to get my treatment (machine had been fixed) it was after 11 am. The plus side was I got some medicine for my mouth that I can take and it is slowly healing up the sores and the yeast infection I have to go along with it. Today I was in radiation, I also saw a nutritionist, and went back for a mouth check. She agreed with me that after a half day it was looking better.
The biggest problem I'm having is trying to drink enough to stay hydrated and find foods I can eat and swallow. I did get a powder protein to add to water that I am taking to try to add more protein to the diet. I have tried the shakes and they are aggrevating the already problematic d%$#r#@* (I just hate that word hope you can figure it out).
Think of all the nasty things in life they seem to have nasty words to go with them. Mucous, the d word, the getting sick to your stomach word. None of these leave pretty pictures in your mind. We need some new words for these terms like forest rainfall, or golden sunlight, just something. What did the word people do? Think up the nastiest words they could find for the nastiest things? I guess so.
Mel got a call from three of his nephews that they were coming up to visit. One is the nephew working in Saudi and sometimes it is 2 years before we can see him and his family. So they started coming in at about 4 in the afternoon. Hung around until about 6:30 when Mel took them out to eat came back to vist until about 9:30. I was pooped and my throat hurt so I pulled up away from the crowd for the evening visit. They came back this morning for a short visit before they each took off for their own destinations. I really enjoyed seeing them. I hope they understand about my not hugging everyone. Quite obviously if my resistance wasn't down I wouldn't be having the mouth problems. Therefore, I am really staying very cautious around people. Pretty much only going out when I have to or for rides with Melvin. I'm running him ragged with needed medicines and food requests. I'm really hoping that I can write in this blog by the end of the week I am starting to eat some good soft foods. Like cheesecake, or pasta or fruits (which I can't eat because of the acidity) or cheesecake. Did I repeat myself? Hope you all have a good day in the rain if you are local. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow. I will try to run Mel out to play tomorrow if he feels like it. KTPC My love

No comments:

Post a Comment