Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Good Evening from St. Johns Hospital. It has been a typical hospital day of hurry and wait. I got to my room early this morning (7:30) but didn't get started on the chemo until 5:20 this evening. The order went in at 9 or so this morning for the chemo but they didn't get it delivered until 2:30 and then didn't have one of my premeds.
What I didn't know is the chemo is hand mixed and hand delivered. It takes a while for that to happen. Plus the 5 fu that I am on is a mix of 5 different drugs which takes it longer to be produced. I do have the mitromycin over with, it only ran for 1 hour. The 5 fu will be given over the next 4 days. I also found out that it was decided to wait until Monday to start my radiation so I won't be having both at the same time. In a way that is a relief because of worrying about someone getting me to the tomography machine on time.
How ironic is it I ended up having side effects from the drugs to keep me from having side effects. Not bad but did have a huge head rush for about an hour.
I was glad to get a private room particularly when Mel told me he saw over 5 people visiting in one room. And he said it looked like all the people were for one patient in a two patient room.
The port was a unique experience. I felt like a pin prick in my skin and then that was it. The needle was through the port and things were going. Once it got below the surface of the skin I didn't feel anything. Well, I'm going to close this. KTPC so far so good. Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment